Sunday, August 23, 2009

Migraines suck!

So I was supposed to work on Saturday but instead I got to have one of my mega migraines which started about 6 pm Friday night and lasted until about 6 am Saturday morning. Fortunately, I only get this really bad migraines a few times a year. Usually I just get low grade annoying headaches sometimes monthly, sometimes weekly, sometimes daily. Lately they've been daily until they peaked with a big one this weekend.

I've been suffering with migraines for most of my life. The first bad headache I remember was when I was in 6th grade. The stress of learning to deal with the locker lifestyle was apparently a bit to get used to. The first migraine I remember that presented with serious neurological side effects was when I was 20. My left hand and the left side of my lips went numb and my right eye had a blind spot; these symptoms lasted for several hours and I was freaked that I was having a stroke! Doctor at the time diagnosed me with stress and told me to relax. Over the years my headaches have varied and the symptoms have changed and I learned to cope. I've taken different medications to treat and pre-treat the pain but nothing seems to really help.

When things are really bad you'll find me completely still on the couch, ice mask on my eyes, heating pad behind my neck, bottle of pain killers and a vomit bucket nearby. My husband hates seeing me suffer like that. He's so great about keeping the house very quiet and dark when I'm the worst.

While I certainly don't enjoy the pain it has given me a certain perspective on life. I definitely full in the category of 'chronic pain sufferer' and I can't predict the really bad ones. Those bastards just happen; although I've learned to avoid my triggers. Loud sounds, smells, lights - especially when my head feels a 'certain sensitive way'.

Having this chronic pain makes me very grateful for the days when I feel good. When I'm healthy and active and able to tackle the world. There may never be a cure for migraines but until then I'm taking it one day at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin